Sunday, September 18, 2005

Stuffed Stupid

Dang, I love to eat. And eat I did yesterday. Total pig-out fest due to going to two parties with good food. It all started Friday night, as it triggered my almost-guilt-free binge.

There's a whole sub-culture of bicyclists out there. They've been becoming a bit more prominent the past few months what with the gasoline pricing going the way it is. I found them through some of my derby teamates, as they ride bikes on their non-skating days. So I hooked up with some Westside bicyclists for what's called the 310 ride. It happens the third Friday night of every month starting at around 10pm and they all meet up by the Santa Monica Pier. I showed up...and was the only girl at first. Lourd. After about 15 minutes of impatiently waiting around(this was one helluva laid-back group), a brother-sister combo show up. Two girls out of 25 riders. Wow. Most of the bikes were typical mountain-y bikes, or racingesque bikes, a mini-bike, and a couple of weird bikes. Eventually they all get going and we ride.

It's a more casual pace than I expected. In fact, it was downright sluggish. I put my bike into the lowest gear possible just to keep my legs moving. We took up the Santa Monica streets, and people waved and yelled at us as we went by. Not all of it was negative, btw. UCLA was our goal, and some exploring therein. We broke up into small groups, head onto campus, lock the bikes up, and walk around looking for a way to UCLA's underground. No, not a club scene, but really underground. We crawled under a building to find a network of tunnels that has steam lines, phone lines, electrical lines, and any other kind of lines going through. It was fun crawling around and looking at all this stuff. By 1am I had to go home and sleeeeeeep. Good workout.

In the early-to-me morning I met up with Kubo, her two English Bull Terriers and Jihad with her from-Chicago friend for some hiking in Runyon Canyon. It's a very popular place for rich and pretty people to hike with their dogs...there's some amazing views of the city which Jihad's friend enjoyed very much. I always like hanging out with my teamates like this. We yakked a lot, had to practically drag one of Kubo's dogs up and down the trails(he's a bit lazy), and sweated a bunch. Another good workout! After about an hour and a half of hiking, we were done and parted ways. Now I was off to Exercise Option #3 in less than 18 hours.

I drove to Pasadena to meet up with Suzy Snakeyes, Axles of Evil, Kammi Kazi, Razorslut, Juana Beat'n and fresh meat Raggedy Annarchy for some skating at this weird little outdoor roller rink in Robinson Park. There's a tree in the middle of the rink with metal railing on both the inside and outside perimeters of the space. We did some scrimmaging while attempting to not send anyone into the railings, as that would hurt like a mofo and the injuries resulting would surely suck. Kammi ended up sliding into the railing and got some cement track-rash in the process. Razor got her bell rung by Kammi when Kammi tried to block Razor and her shoulder went into Razor's face. I was the worst jammer ever as I kept using my hands to block as I went by Suzy. Raggedy Annarchy got some useful hints on strategy and technique that other LA fresh meat haven't gotten yet. Juana's dogs kept wandering all over the rink while we skated. We had a great time! Next week we're bringing beer.

After all this exercise I went home, took a nap, hosed myself off, and drove with the husbitch to his sister's house in Torrance for her birthday/end-of-summer party. She's the type of person who does a lot of business networking, and so the guests at this party reflected that. Not a lot of family there, so that limited the amount of people that we knew, and the amount of people that we would want to get to know. However, there was a ton o' food supplied by caterers along with margaritas. We got over ourselves and ate. And ate. And ate.

After several hours we managed to roll ourselves out to the car and drive back home to feed the cats and prep for party numero two-o being held in Highland Park by a former Derby Doll and her husband. The theme was a seventies-type thing complete with hot tub, horrible music, lounge pantsuits and fondue. Ahhhh, fondue. I've never had it before, but damn! it's good! Especially the cheese stuff. Garlic-y as hell, which meant I was one step from just drinking it straight. It went really well with the highly alcoholic sangria-ish punch they had. My belly is distended like Buddha by the end of the night. Today I pay with some beach skating.

To top off the fun, someone posted this site on a board that I mainly lurk on. Fun stuff!

No comments: