Monday, May 11, 2009

The "Creative" Process

I'm enjoying the week off from freelance.

However, I have to attack the growing list of non-work artwork that needs to be done by the end of the month. The post-it note on the corner of my computer monitor is mocking me with its list staying stagnant...nothing is getting crossed off and labeled as "done".

The outstanding one is the calendar girl I'm doing for GirlsDrawinGirls. I started on a high note because I found a previous doodle that I thought would look cute and appropriate for the specifications for doing a girl for the month of June. I started building her in Illustrator, and all was good.

Then I started adding color, and that's when I started losing my way.

Color has always been difficult for me to handle. I took enough art classes to know basic color theory, but I'm such a simpleton about it. And obvious. I use bright primary colors a lot. Subtlety is not my forte. I know, surprising. So as I started coloring my June girl, she became more and more boring and ordinary. So far she's a mid-brunette against a mid-blue background. BORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRING!!!!! as the derby girls would scream. I need something more eye-catching, or more complimentary, or more unique or more...more.

Now I'm going through my color theory books to see if something piques my interest that will save my June girl. sigh. It doesn't help that I'm eating schnacks like there's no tomorrow...damn you, Trader Joe's and your tasty treats!!!!

No comments: