Thursday, June 03, 2010

Doing Stuff

I've been off and on about Doing Useful Stuff. I certainly could be more useful than I have been, but I've been taking funemployment a little too seriously.

The one Actually Useful Thing I'm doing is going to donate platelets tomorrow for an animator named Pres Romanillos. He's worked on a lot of features and is battling leukemia. While he's waiting for a second bone marrow transplant(he's on go-around numero two-o with the leukemia), he's in need of blood and platelet donations. The animation union is even doing an art show/silent auction to help cover his medical costs since his life savings were wiped out when this happened the first time.

The thing is, I don't know this dude. Never met him, never heard of him until this. I've donated platelets twice before in my life through the Red Cross, and I hated it each time. It was most likely because during the two hours it takes to gather the platelets from my blood, I watched movies that are not good donation-themed romps. The first time I watched Million Dollar Baby, and the second was Igby Goes Down. See what I mean?

So...why now? Because I should. Hard to explain exactly, because it's not like I'm feeling obligated to someone I don't know, but I just...should. It's literally the least yet best I can do. Animation has been a shitty business to be in for the past few years, and doing something nice for someone else is a heartening change of pace. Donating money while funemployed isn't in the cards. Donating my own art is useless and I don't have other art to donate to the silent auction. I can't donate blood because I'm a different blood type than what's needed, so that leaves platelets.

As an added bonus, I get to take the murdersickle to Duarte for this. GODDAM, WHAT A NICE PERSON I AM.

I keed, I keed.

In the meantime, here's another doodle. I'm so fucking proud of myself for continuing to fucking draw. Maybe one of these days I'll get good at it.

4 comments:

Bronnie said...

RHSD, you rock. That is all.

RedDiabla said...

Pres is getting a lot of help and support from a lot of talented people. I hope that we all get that kind of backup if we ever had to face what he has.

Becca said...

Me likey your bird doodle, RED!

Bummer they would not let me donate platelets because it hasn't been a year since I've been back from Manila, which is on their list of places that may have MALARIA! I wanted to help in honor of my mom. :(
Glad a lot of people helped.

RedDiabla said...

Becca: harrumph! Your platelets are too cute to carry malaria!