Monday, October 02, 2006

Atoning


I'm a bad Jew.

A very bad Jew.

Especially since I'm not even Jewish. I think the husband is an even worse Jew, especially considering that he didn't marry a Nice Jewish Girl. If Jews had hell, he'd definitely have his own section there just for that.

Today is Yom Kippur, the Jewish Day of Atonement. One is supposed to not work, wash, eat, drink, watch tv, wear leather shoes, have sex, put on make-up or deodorant, or goof off for extended periods of time on the internet. It's hardly halfway through the day and I've hit all of those but one. God would kick my ass for that, if I were really Jewish.

Why aren't Jews supposed to do any of that stuff? Because they're supposed to go to temple and pray all day to atone for their sins against god. I just found out today that atoning for sins against other people doesn't count on this day; you're supposed to atone for those sins before Yom Kippur starts. Well damn, that throws off my whole schedule. The husband and I are not eating, though.

So right now I'm goofing off while taking a break from work. I'm hungry, of course. Yesterday's pre-Yom Kippur meal was a cheeseburger at a local cafe. It was quite delicious, and we had some killer sweet potato fries with spicy mayonnaise that was as addictive as crack. Yummmmm. Tonight we'll be breaking our fast by visiting one of the sushi places in the mall where the track is. Oh yeah, I'm running practice tonight. I'll be all weak from hunger and stuff, but that's OK.

We went to a wedding this past weekend for our friend Adrien and his lovely new bride Janet. The ceremony had the husband and I squirming because it was a)in the sun and b) a Christian ceremony. We didn't expect either, but we adjusted enough to get through it without being too embarrassing and we got to see everyone get nicely plastered at the reception. We got to find out who's pregnant, who's sleeping with whom, who's not sleeping with whom, if anyone went on any good road trips, and just how much beer can everyone drink, anyway? It was fun and I ate way too much.

I also got a pregnancy update from Mudsock and Starfish. Apparently she has strangers touching her belly when she's out and about. Um...ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Why would anyone want to touch a stranger's belly, whether there's a baby in there or not? That's just weird and creeeeeepy. But speaking of creepy, they're gonna have a cool Halloween-themed baby shower. That should be fun.

Alright, back to work.

No comments: